Long distance relationships can be a struggle for some while a superb adventure for others. Yes it is hard to be with someone in a different town, city, state, or even country far away.
The hardest part is missing that person and not being able to see him or her whenever you want to, especially when you are feeling lonely.
Sometimes someone who is thousands of miles away can make you feel better than those people right beside you. Sometimes someone who is thousands of miles away can make you cry more often than those right beside you.
But the question that bothers most people is, ” Will my long distance relationship really work? Does it last? If so, how?
Before I begin let me tell you…. I had more than one long distance relationships. When I went off into the military (4 years away from home), I had 2 different girlfriends at the time, not at the same time but one after the other. With one girlfriend, (the first one) my relationship was a misery with lots of arguing, jealousy problems, and so on.
We ended up breaking up after 6 months. While the second relationship was great. We saw each other two times a month and spoke pretty much every day on the phone.
The difference is that the first relationship was my very first long distance relationship and I did not know how to deal with it. On the second long distance relationship, I was more experienced.
You see, since I was in the military and my contract was for four years the only type of relationship I could have was a long distance relationship.
Therefore if I wanted a girlfriend at the time, I had to figure out what to do to make the long distance relationship work.
Here at the 7 Secrets To A Successful Long Distance Relationship
- Goal and Plan For the Future Together
- Write Emails/Letters – Showing How Much You Care
- Meet As Much As Possible
- Keep Faith in Each Other
- Don’t Let Jealousy Overrule Your Relationship
- Encourage Each Other
- Be Honest At The Time
1. Having a goal and a plan for the future helps each other have hope that even though you are not together all the time right now, you are going to make it up in the future when you guys live closer together. All talk about your relationship goals and plans. That helps stimulate the love and emotions you have for each other.
2. Writing emails or letters regularly shows each that you care and appreciate each other. Talking on the phone regularly is very important, but writing a love letter regularly show intimacy and the other partner can read it over and over while missing and thinking about the person who wrote it. It is also an act that can touch the emotions every time the letter is picked up. Check out more on, writing >> love letters for her or love letters for him, or you can see some sample love letters. A great give to give each other in long distance relationships are love letters!
3. Both individuals have to make an effort to see each other as much as possible. Both needs to take turns going to where each other lives in order to make plans to spend some time together. A relationship is always 50/50. Yes there are times that one or the other has to do more due to availability and responsibility, but in the end balance is the key. When you love, you sacrifice more than you expect.
4. Have faith in each other! Always believe that the other is the right person for you. Think positive. If you start thinking negative, more negative thoughts will come and it will bring you two people people that love each other farther and farther away. Yes it is hard to have hope some times in long distance relationships, but faith always produces hope to what there is to come in the future. Tomorrow will always be better and better as long as you have faith.
5. Jealousy destroys and long distance relationships. Keep watch of your mind in order to be conscious of real or imaginary thoughts. Our mind sometimes plays tricks on us.
6. Always encourage each other no matter what. If you truly love, you will encourage the one you love.
7. Always tell the truth no matter what happens. Trust is the main key in any relationship. Check out more on trust at: Trust in a Relationship. Therefore, you have to making an effort to never break that trust or else it will destroy the relationship.
ONE Last important key in any relationship (especially long distance relationships) is COMMUNICATION. Due to the fact that each other is so far away, it is very important to listen and speak what ever is bothering each other or any expectation. Communication is very important, if not the most important part of a relationship, next to love. Check out more on communication at: Improve Your Communication Skills.
To end, my personal advice on long distance relationships is that You do your best to make it work. It will WORK if both individuals are committed, faithful, love each other, Communicate, Disciplined, and are always willing to encourage each other while learning consistently how to show appreciation and love for each other.
Take care!! Please leave comments, like the article, and pass it on to your friends. I am eager to hear about your long distance relationships. The good and the bad. Please comment.